How to change a System Boiler to a Combi Boiler
So, you’re thinking of changing your old to a new combi boiler and you are wondering what work will be involved. This article will help you decide if you think changing your old system boiler, older conventional boiler or back boiler will be the right decision for you.
If you don’t know anything about combi boilers you may want to read the following articles:
Is it worth changing to a Combi Boiler
Older system boilers come into their own when you need lots of hot water simultaneously from different outlets, for example if you need to use two bathrooms at once and other demanding items such as washers, dishwashers and showers. The reason is that when you turn a tap on a combi boiler will spring to life and supply instantaneous hot water direct from the mains and heat it instantly. A system boiler or back boiler will have stored and preheated that water so therefore it can supply lots of hot water instantaneously.
A conventional heat only boiler will need additional storage so in a modern home this is not always possible as space is at a premium. If you remove the old hot water cylinder that are often sited in a cupboard in a bedroom whereas a combi can fit discretely into a kitchen cupboard. Older header tanks can be sited in the loft as well and these different parts may need replacing and maintaining so you can see why the combi boiler is the most popular boiler in the UK.
Also, as you don’t need to pre heat and store the water you can reduce your energy bills are less in fact a lot less so this is a major consideration you need to take in account.
Benefits of changing to Combi Boiler
- Excellent space saving solution that be installed into a cupboard
- No additional water storage is needed, no cylinder or header tank
- Heat the water straight from the mains
- Instant hot water by simply turning a tap
- Heats your home by smart thermostats that can be controlled by your phone
- Lower bills as they are energy efficient
- A rated boilers are over 90% energy efficient older boilers are 50% energy efficient
- Energy saving trust recommends them highly